Saturday, February 4, 2012

Chinatown Revisited

As Chinese New Year draws to an end, I wondered if there will be any activities in Chinatown. Finding no particular event listed the internet, I still decided to just roam around and see what I can find. 

If you are in the market for souvenirs, Chinese mementos or authentic local food and snacks, this is definitely the spot. I realized that I should have bought my mother-in-law here the last time she visited instead of Bugis. She would have appreciated the wide variety of souvenir and gift shops.

So I was just walking around and taking in the sights observing the hapless foreigners and busy shopkeepers. 

I won't be discussing any historical background here as that can easily be looked up in Wikipedia. Instead I'll be sharing some of the interesting things that caught my eye and consequently the Instagram app (which is my current obsession, by the way). 

From the so-called coin museum which is actually a shop
Delicious red lanterns lining the walkways
Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum
Sri Marriaman Temple 
Hindu Religious Symbol
Layor Sithi Vinayager Temple 
I suppose it's one of the deities holding a chicken



For more information on the history of Chinatown, you may visit the Chinatown Visitor Center located on Banda street. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment